Using Math Manipulatives to Improve Learning

Using Math Manipulatives to Improve Learning

maryoelker
Administrator
Oftentimes when a student comes to you with a math question they're having trouble with, they may say something like "I just can't do this. Math isn't for me." You find yourself sitting down with the student to look at the problem together, and it may feel like no matter how many times you try to explain it on paper, the student just isn't understanding it. Sometimes even the most experienced tutors may have trouble explaining these concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. It can feel frustrating not knowing how to help the student achieve their goals with Math.

That said, at Seeds of Literacy there are many resources outside of the curriculum packets that you can use to help explain Math concepts to students. At our in-person locations, there are fraction blocks, flash cards, whiteboards, books and many other tools to help you. For our virtual classroom, there are websites like multiplication.com or Khan Academy that students can use to practice outside of class. Next time you tutor, take a look at the manipulatives and outside resources available to you.

If you know of any other math manipulatives or websites that have been useful to you, please post them below!

Re: Using Math Manipulatives to Improve Learning

Mike LarRiccia
I regularly ask whether they know about Kahn Academy videos - and almost all students have not heard of them. Having watched more than a few - they are impressive at explaining things and concise.

Re: Using Math Manipulatives to Improve Learning

Rob.Pyle
When we get to surface area and volume, I find that holding the shape in your hand helps.  I got the center I work at here in Michigan to get us a set of these (see link below). Especially in surface area of solids, being able to point to each of the 4 sides of a square pyramid and the one base helps get the thought a cross better than I am capable of drawing.

(open in a new tab to keep this page open)
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq-GrcLowExftCX0GnIeMj7sRbrmxJw6gaP9vJ2UdqTlr7gX0koKVHs_nHewO0072Ay8_pHnMau-k2dv3iWFPfI0Owbmdyo215fDf5Cf1Jz4Xzj10QWqEm&usqp=CAE

Re: Using Math Manipulatives to Improve Learning

maryoelker
Administrator
Hi Rob! Thanks so much for linking to those shape models. We have some 3D models of these shapes as well in our physical classroom.

As far as virtual classes go, giving students a concrete example (e.g. a basketball for a sphere, or a can of vegetables for a cylinder) may be a good way to go about it.

If anyone else has any other ideas on how we could translate this to virtual, they would be appreciated!